Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Do self governing trustees who are all volunteers for a 501(c)3

Do self governing trustees who are all volunteers for a 501(c)3 library in Massachusetts have financial exposure either individually or collectively in the event of a suit filed by a person injured on the premises?
The library does have an insurance policy that includes coverage for personal injury. The library has an annual budget of $30,000 and raises all but $1,000 which comes from the town. Gordon Leach
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Board members and trustees only have liability for their direct actions and any breaches of fiduciary duty to the non-profit entity. As far as personal injury/premises liability, that liability is on the non-profit entity itself. Any non-profit entity that owns or operates out of a building should have premises liability insurance and also the association should have Directors E&O and Liability insurance to protect the directors/trustees from suits regarding performance of their duties. However, for premises liability actions, the non-profit entity, not the individual board members, would have the liability and that is the purpose for the liability insurance policy.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”