Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If my license is revoked until August in Illinois, is there

If my license is revoked until August in Illinois, is there any way that I can get a license in California earlier because i have a job opportunity that requires it?
Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Are you talking about a driver's license?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a license if there's a suspension because of the National Driver Registry. This registry shares information from all 50 states to all states. So if you have a suspension in Illinois then that will be honored in all states - including California.

The only possible solution is if you can apply for a hardship or provisional/limited license until your regular license is reinstated. You would have to apply for this through the court in Illinois.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How can I accomplish the request through Illinois when I am in California?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You can get an attorney in Illinois to apply for the license on your behalf, or you would have to try and do it yourself - - but there aren't any official forms to use for this, so it could be tough without a lawyer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So if the suspension is up in August.. can I just apply for the license at the DMV in California?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, once the suspension is lifted, you should be cleared to apply for a license in CA. You may need to get a letter from Illinois (the court that suspended your license) stating that the suspension has been completed, and you should have no problem getting a license.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. I didn't mention that in January of this year I received a ticket for driving without a license. I went to court in San Diego and the judge fined me $150.00. She said that this would be reported to the DMV. Will this hurt my chances for getting my license back?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
If you paid your fine, then that should be the end of it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How will I go about getting the letter from Illinois stating that my suspension is up?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
The court clerk's office where you received the suspension should be able to get this for you. Also, the Illinois DMV should have that information.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The job I was applying for said that I must have a valid drivers license by the time of employment, but for now I just need to sign a form stating that I do have valid license. Can I go ahead and do that even though I won't have it until August? Because I don't know how long the hiring process goes on for and it might be a while. And I don't want to ruin my chances because of this.

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
You couldn't say that you have a valid license at the time of the application, but you can say you'll have a license in August.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

On the application they ask for a drivers license number and state of issuance. Should I just put that I will have a valid license in August with no further explanation?

Expert:  Roger replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I think that's the best way to handle it.
Roger, Attorney
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters