Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

If my license is revoked until August in Illinois, is there

If my license is revoked until August in Illinois, is there any way that I can get a license in California earlier because i have a job opportunity that requires it?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

Are you talking about a driver's license?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Ok. Thanks.

Unfortunately, you cannot get a license if there's a suspension because of the National Driver Registry. This registry shares information from all 50 states to all states. So if you have a suspension in Illinois then that will be honored in all states - including California.

The only possible solution is if you can apply for a hardship or provisional/limited license until your regular license is reinstated. You would have to apply for this through the court in Illinois.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can I accomplish the request through Illinois when I am in California?

You can get an attorney in Illinois to apply for the license on your behalf, or you would have to try and do it yourself - - but there aren't any official forms to use for this, so it could be tough without a lawyer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if the suspension is up in August.. can I just apply for the license at the DMV in California?

Yes, once the suspension is lifted, you should be cleared to apply for a license in CA. You may need to get a letter from Illinois (the court that suspended your license) stating that the suspension has been completed, and you should have no problem getting a license.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok.. I didn't mention that in January of this year I received a ticket for driving without a license. I went to court in San Diego and the judge fined me $150.00. She said that this would be reported to the DMV. Will this hurt my chances for getting my license back?

If you paid your fine, then that should be the end of it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How will I go about getting the letter from Illinois stating that my suspension is up?

The court clerk's office where you received the suspension should be able to get this for you. Also, the Illinois DMV should have that information.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The job I was applying for said that I must have a valid drivers license by the time of employment, but for now I just need to sign a form stating that I do have valid license. Can I go ahead and do that even though I won't have it until August? Because I don't know how long the hiring process goes on for and it might be a while. And I don't want to ruin my chances because of this.

You couldn't say that you have a valid license at the time of the application, but you can say you'll have a license in August.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the application they ask for a drivers license number and state of issuance. Should I just put that I will have a valid license in August with no further explanation?

Yes, I think that's the best way to handle it.