Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have sentencing for a DUI set for May 29th. I told my lawyer

I have sentencing for a DUI set for May 29th. I told my lawyer to push it as far back as possible. I think I am being lied to by him and his office on the continuance. How can I find out if there has been a motion filed?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

To find out if any motions for continuance were filed you need to check in 2 places. The first place is with the clerk of the court's office, which is the place all motions are supposed to be first filed. The second place is calling the judge's clerk or secretary and ask them if they received any copies or notice of a motion to continue your case.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am within my legal rights to call and ask the clerk or judges clerk? And how easy are they to access? I can't wait a week to hear from them.

Thank you for your response and follow up.

The information you are seeking is public record in the courts, anyone can call and as for it. As far as how easy, it depends on the employees in the clerk's office, some are friendly and some are lazy jerks. Some will look it up while you are on the phone and others will tell you that you need to come to the clerk's office so they can pull the file. But most clerk employees will look it up on their computer while you are on the phone with them and will tell you if it was filed.