Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Can an injunction to stop a book from being published be filed

Can an injunction to stop a book from being published be filed pro per even though we live in different states? Family member (read mother) stating getting book published even though it contains nothing but lies that would cause great harm in my family (read husband and my adult children)
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

If a Petition for an Emergency Injunction is files in the state where the author of the book resides and such injunction is granted based on the court finding that irreparable harm would occur if the book is published, then such injunction would be a court order not to publish the book, until the case comes before the court and the issue is decided upon.

The lawsuit and petition for emergency injunction can be filed pro se, but this is a very complex area of law and it would make a lot of sense for you to consult and hire a local attorney where the author of the book resides, so this local attorney can represent you in the lawsuit and your petition for emergency injunction.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What if I just want parts pertaining to my family deleted? Can that be done?
Dear Ruthann,

Thank you for your follow up.

It is possible, but you would have to prove that if the part of the book about your family is published, that it would be slanderous in nature and would cause irreparable harm to you and your family.

This is not an easy argument to make, given the Constitutional protections given to freedom or speech and freedom of expression and you would need to hire an experienced local attorney where your mother resides to help you pursue such legal action.

I wish you the best of luck!