1. Yes, you should send the letter Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. Also, send it by regular mail. That way, if for some reason, the letter is not signed for by the recipient, you will be able to show that it was also sent by regular mail. Make a copy of the envelope and, if possible, the postmark. You may have to go to the post office to do so. If you can prove that you mailed the letter on a certain date, then unless the letter is returned, it will be deemed by the court to have been received.
2. Yes. You should send a copy of the Judgment along with your letter. Make sure that you make a copy of the letter.
3. You do not need to give them a deadline to respond. The judgment is to be paid by June 1st. Once that date passes, you can begin the collection process.
4. It is worth going to court and paying the fees for filing. Why? Because the Defendant will be responsible to pay the fees for you having to file the documents to collect the judgment.
5. In order to send the judgment to the credit reporting agencies, you will have to obtain personal information about the Defendant. So, you will have to request a hearing (often called a debtor or creditor's exam in order to find out the personal information, where the Defendant's bank accounts are located, where s/he works, etc.
Below are other ways that you can use to collect on the debt.
I hope you find this information useful.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Thank you for your business!
Many customers have asked how they can specifically direct a question to me in the future. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "xavierjd” in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.
***Answers given are for informational purposes only and are not meant to replace the advice or assistance of an attorney licensed to practice law in your state. If you need any more information, please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you!