Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

We are having difficulty removing a Public Adjuster as a payee

We are having difficulty removing a Public Adjuster as a payee with the Insurance company. The PA was fired for cause and all parties were notified in writing. The PA has been paid in full for services rendered to date. The insurance company states our signed agreement with PA binds the insurance company to list PA as the payee unless a court document or signed release is presented. I am truly shocked that a bad situation worsened by a deceitful public adjuster firm coupled with a devastated home owner just got worse.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Under NY Insurance Code 2103, insurance adjusters must be licensed by the insurance commissioner and any complaints about adjusters go through them.

Also, you need to look at your contract with the adjuster to determine the procedure in the contract for termination of the contract for breach of contract and you must follow that contract to terminate this contractor based on their breach of contract with you (which is what you have terminated him for).

If you look at the contract and make sure you have followed the breach termination provisions and the adjuster will not agree to sign the release, your recourse is you have to file suit in court against the adjuster to obtain a court order removing him as a payee and terminating the contract.

All of these claims are governed first by the terms written in your contract, so that is where you need to start.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”