Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I am 59 years old and I moved in with my 86 year old mother

I am 59 years old and I moved in with my 86 year old mother last summer to look after her. Now she lives in a condo community and with that the HOA has many rules. For instance, I was at the condo community pool with my 8 year old grandaughter, the president of the HOA asked me where my mother was. My answer was she was back at her place she chose not to go that day. This HOA pres. told me I would have to leave the pool since the owner (my mom) was not with me. I said but I live here with her. I was told my 86 year old mom has to be with me if I want to swim. Is that anyway right?

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

This certainly sounds crazy! If you were a minor, then I could see the need for a member to be present with a guest, etc. However in your case, this sounds petty.

HOWEVER, HOA's are the kings of pettiness, and IF the HOA has a rule that requires a guest (non-owner) to be accompanied by a guest, then you're probably going to have to honor that.

One possible solution would be to have your mother add you as an owner of the property, so this would not be an issue for you.