Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

In the state of CA what do I have to do in order to sell my

In the state of CA what do I have to do in order to sell my used car to a private party and transfer the title over to them?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.
In CA a used car sale between private parties is fairly simple. You have to sign the title over to the other party, if there is more than one owner all owners must sign. The buyer needs to present the signed title together with the transfer fee to DMV. If you are not sure the buyer will transfer the title immediately (within 30 days required by law) you can also file a notice of cancellation of registration with proof of your bill of sale to DMV by filling out a Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability, which protects you in case they do not transfer the title in a timely manner. See: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/reg/nrl.htm
You should also give them a bill of sale, which should be completed in duplicate original (both have original signatures of buyer and seller) specifying the price and stating it was purchased "as is, as seen without any warranties as to condition of the vehicle."
Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.
Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.
Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.
PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.
There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.
You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”