Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

My friend, a manicurist, was asked to sign a 15 day notice

My friend, a manicurist, was asked to sign a 15 day notice to vacate her booth space, by the owner of the salon where she works, but after she signed it, she was given a notorized copy of the original document. She did not sign it in front of the notary - would it still be legal and binding?

Thank you for the information and your question. Since there was not requirement that the owner have the notice notarized, the notice is still binding. The fact though that her signature (I assume) was notarized without a notary seeing her sign it means that the notary violated the law of notarizations and she (or he) could be reported to the State. The only legal challenge that she would have to the notice is to say that it wasn't her signature. But since she did apparently sign it, the owner of the shop could prove it was her signature. A little convoluted, but again the notice itself is legal, it is just the extra unnecessary act of notarization that could get the notary into trouble, that was not.