Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I live in new mexico and I traveled to florida to purchase

I live in new mexico and I traveled to florida to purchase a car. I assumed that the used car would come with a plate to get me home and I could then register it in new mexico. But it has no license plate. How do I get a plate on it and drive it home? Do I have to register it in new mexico and florida?
Thanks for your question and good morning.My sympathy for your situation and dilemma.

Here if the vehicle was purchased in Florida with a Florida title you can get a temporary tag for your car.. You must provide proof of current insurance, the title and approved picture identification. The temporary tag is $7.50 and you will be assessed sales tax according to your state of residence.

You do this at the county tax collector in Florida where the vehicle was purchased.
This woudl then allow you to drive it to New Mexico and register it there.

This is referenced at this site about the 17-18th q and a from the top.

http://www.seminoletax.org/tags/faqtag.shtml

Assuming you are in Florida here with the car you should be able to do this today and get your temporary tag and be on your way.

I appreciate the chance to assist you today.If you have more follow up please just ask.Thanks again.

I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.
Here is a list of tax collector offices and more reference.

http://ffdhsmv.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/194/~/temporary-tag

Sorry you are having to go through all of this.Florida as you can see has some strange laws.They also have more toll roads than any place I have ever been to.Good luck in getting back to New Mexico with the car.Thanks for letting me help.Let me know if you have any follow up.