How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexLaw Your Own Question
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have someone that owes me money in another state. How do

This answer was rated:

I have someone that owes me money in another state. How do I pursue legal action?

Thank you for your question.

If a person who owes you money will not respond to your attempts to collect from them, your only alternative is to sue them in court.

In your case, the person is in a different state. So there are several things I need to know from you to help you further:

1. On what legal ground do you believe the person owes you money?

2. Do you have a written agreement with this person?

3. Is this related to a business transaction which the person performed in your state?

4. Do you know the current physical address of the person?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent 400.00 in good faith for a puppy that was three weeks old. Pup was to be evaluated at 8 weeks of age to see if it was breed / show quality. After I place my deposit I was never updated on the pup. Eight weeks has passed the pup is 10 weeks old and I just get excuses about why I have not been updated. The puppy should have been in possession by this time. I have my cancelled check and pay pal receipt showing my payments to her to hold the pup. She never sent me a written agreement. This is a business transaction that took place over the phone. I live in Virginia and she lives in Arizonia. Yes, I do have a physical address for her.

The first thing you need to do is send her a formal demand letter by certified mail. In the letter you need to state that you are demanding a return of all the money that you paid her because she has breached the contract. Tell her that if she does not return the money to you within 30 days, you will file suit against her and will contact the Arizona Attorney General for interstate fraud.

Next, if she does not send you the money, you need to contact the AZ attorney general's office to report her, as this is a violation of the AZ Pet Purchaser Protection Laws.

The Attorney General may not act in your case (sometimes they simply don't do anything) in which case you would need to actually file a suit against her in AZ to get the money, most likely.

How did you find out about her? Does she sell to other people in VA that you are aware of?
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 5 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
She is well known in the breed and show world for her dogs I thought she had an immpeccable reputation no one had ever said anything negative. But now after the fact several other breeders are coming forward and admitting that she has done this before and very hard to get along with and bullies buyers when they question her. Basically I met her through our breed specific clubs online.
Ok. That means you will likely have to sue her in AZ if it comes down to it.

The best thing you can do is send the letter to her to see if she will comply with your demand and to contact the AZ attorney general. If she is a well known breeder, then the AG may take action.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.