Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I received a ticket from the city of Houstons department of

I received a ticket from the city of Houston's department of health for not having an ambulance drivers permit at the time. I had already filed all the paperwork for the permit and was waiting on them to process it. I have received several letters from local lawyers telling me I can pay them $50 to settle my case instead of the $390 it cost to pay the ticket. I am a emt that makes very little and also am paying for nursing school at the time. My question is should I hiring one of these lawyers or would it cost me more in the long run. $390 is a lot of money for me to be paying since I already paid the city $130 for the permit.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

I am sorry for your situation. What happens is that once you receive a ticket, you can contest it for a hearing. If you have never had such a ticket before, very often, the matter may be settled by the ticket being thrown out on a technicality, or, your attorney setting it for a full trial and the city's prosecuting attorney deciding that it is simply not worth the hassle.

The way that these firms work is that they handle many tickets at once, so they make their money due to the quantity (20 to 30 a day, for example), but they are also very good at what they do. It is highly recommended to retain one of these attorneys - you are likely to end up paying only $50 and having the ticket dropped (most work on a flat fee of the $50), as opposed to paying a whole fine if found guilty.

Good luck!

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So you don't think that if I pay $50 to one of these attorneys that after all is said and done it won't end up costing me $300? I just don't want to pay more for a lawyer than I would have to for the ticket.

Thanks for your help

I cannot predict what will happen in an individual case. However, if you have not had these types of tickets before, it is possible that it would get dropped.

Call the attorneys who send you the letter and TALK to them, and see what they can offer...