Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have received a letter in the mail. On the first page it

I have received a letter in the mail. On the first page it states the ability to make $250,000 in weeks. I have read the 5 pages that make up the letter and it mentions, repeatedly, that this process is legal. It also mentions, repeatedly, about the US Postal and Lottery Laws. Everything that I have researched keeps mentioning the chain letter and using the promise of spending a few dollars to get a lot is illegal. The title it refers to is Title 18, Section 1302 & 1342. What about that title makes it illegal and what would have to change to make the practice legal?
The letter goes on to state that by adding a slip of paper with "Please put my name on you mailing list" it avoids violating the above title.
Hello friend. My name is XXXXX XXXXX welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (1) this is general information only, not legal advice, and, (2) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies.

How is the letter claiming that you can make this money? What is the process? What are they offering and asking for you?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is requesting I first mail money to $1 to 6 people that are in my letter. I then replace my name on the bottom of the list. Then I pay for a mailing list then mail 200 or more letters out to people on the mailing list.
C,

Thank you for your explanation.

What this is is a very standard letter stuffing scam. For a thorough explanation, you can read the Federal Trade Commission's overview of it here. I am sure that it sounds somewhat familiar.

Essentially, it is stating that as long as you mail out these envelopes, you will make money. But of course, this is not true (see link).

18 USC § 1302 deals with gambling by mail.
18 USC § 1342 deals with using a fake name in mailings.

True, you would not be breaking these laws, of course. But this is still a scam. The scammer is simply stating that you would not be breaking 18 USC § 1302 and 1342 to make you feel that this is on the up and up. This is like me saying, "Buy this stolen car, but do not worry, this is not considered murder." Well sure, it is not murder, but you'd be falling into something questionable anyhow.

Ergo, this is a scam, and I would avoid. I am sorry.

Please note: I aim to give you genuine information and not necessarily to tell you only what you wish to hear. Please, rate me on the quality of my information and do not punish me for my honesty. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize.

Gentle Reminder: Please use the REPLY button to keep chatting, or RATE my answer when we are finished. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces and then submit, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith. (You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.)