Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

Can you use a persons email as a signed agreement in a court

Can you use a persons email as a signed agreement in a court of law

Thank you for the question. Can you give me some brief background about what the underlying issue here and what the agreement was? What do you mean by "signed?" What is the email being introduced to prove and is there any other evidence of an agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I sent a contractor a contractors agreement
form via email and he typed his signature
and date on the agreement and emailed
it back as a pdf via email,so can it still
be used as a binding contract
Hello again and thank you for the additional information. Yes, assuming that all the elements of a contract are present, an electronic signature can be used to show that a contract was entered into. Michigan follow the Uniform Electronic Signature Act and as long as the other party cannot successfully challenge that they acted in supplying the signature, then as long as you can establish that the email was from them, it can be introduced and used to establish that a contract was formed.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So by showing that the email he sent obtained
the printed or electronically signed
documents then its a binding contract
Hello again and thank you for your reply. As I mentioned, as long as it contains all of the elements of a contract and he cannot successfully dispute that it came from him, yes, it is a binding contract.