Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have a disability( I have a Disabled Person ID card issue

I have a disability( I have a Disabled Person ID card issue by the Motor Vehicle Commission of NJ) and I live in A semi private community in NJ. The board is trying to prevent me from parking my company vehicle( residential Plates) in the visitors parking on weekends but allowing me to park on weekdays. From an earlier dispute with a neighbor the board sent her a letter stating that I can park in the visitor parking spots, the letter doesnt make any reference whether it is weekday or weekend and they have been allowing me to park every day in the visitor parking for over two years and now are trying to prevent me from parking on weekends. There are two other vehicles in my household that are parked in the garage and in the driveway. As a diabled Person what are my rights?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

As as disabled person, under the Fair Housing Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act, the complex cannot treat you any differently than a regular tenant without disabilities and would have to make some reasonable accommodation for you regarding your disability as needed. A reasonable accommodation would be to allow you to park in visitor's parking instead of parking elsewhere. If the board refuses to provide you such reasonable accommodation, then you would need to consider a complaint to the local HUD office first and then if they continue to deny you the reasonable accommodation, you would have to go to court and sue for the violation of the ADA and FHA.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”