Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

what is the most drastic that could happen for falsifying school

what is the most drastic that could happen for falsifying school readiness reimbursements
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Could you please provide me with more information about this situation and also please let me know what took place and who is conducting this investigation and your role in this matter?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a daycare provider that received funds from the city for preschool age children in my program. My lead teacher had to input some information in a data base about the children regarding their progress so the teacher only inputted the actual # XXXXX children enrolled in the program which was 7 and should have been 12 so a red flag went off and now I am being investigated for receiving funds for 12 slots when I only had a range from 7-9 slots
Dear XXXXX,

Who is investigating you?

Have you been arrested or charged with any crime yet?

Have you retained local criminal defense attorney to represent you in this matter?

Have you admitted to any wrongdoing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The city is investigating me and I am just waiting to see what will happen after their investigation of my records. I have contacted a criminal lawyer he said to let them finish looking at the records. The wrong doing is in the records I'm just concerned what is or about to happen next
Dear XXXXX,

Was any type of demand made by the city so far for you to return any of the money received as part of this program or as an overpayment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There has ben no demands as of yet but I am afraid it is coming
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

This is a very serious situation and the potential consequences would depend on the outcome of the investigation and can range from civil liability which could range from reimbursement of any overpayment, fines, termination from the program, etc...to potential criminal felony charges, if it is determined that this was not a mistake or an oversight but rather intentional fraud or misrepresentation on your or your employee's part with your actual knowledge.

At this point, it would be a good idea for you to get a local criminal defense attorney on a retainer and have this local criminal defense attorney deal with the investigators and anything related to this ongoing investigation, as anything that you do or say, can later be used against you, should this matter result in criminal charges.

Once again, I am really sorry about this unfortunate situation and I do wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney