How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29589
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My MIL needs help managing her finances. It is hard to make

Resolved Question:

My MIL needs help managing her finances. It is hard to make her ends meet and she has needed us to give her money. After getting a glimpse of her cash flow when she asked me to help her fill out aid/assistance and tax rebate form, we realized that she would need less dollars from us if her finances were managed more appropriately. (We still have a kid in college, and contributing to her finances every month is not always easy.) We told her that if we were going to continue giving her money, we needed to be privy to the cash flow and help manage that. She did not want to do this so we backed off and also stopped giving her money. She is now behind and came to us once again. She has agreed to a plan to where we would set up a separate bill paying account that we would manage. The idea is her SSI check would get distributed between the two. We identified an amount that would go into her current checking, designated for just groceries, incidentals, and cash, for her to manage as we see fit. The other account we would manage to pay bills and expenses. We would still have to supplement that account, but at a level much more feasible for us. MIL was amenable to this arrangement. When I went to the bank to see if that could be set up, they said yes, but my husband would need financial POA. MIL at first agreed to this, but then decided she doesn't want to turn over POA. She is willing to give us the bill money, put it in one of our accounts (I would set a separate one for this) and have us pay the bills. My concern is that this arrangement would leave us vulnerable. What if down the road other family members questioned the arrangement or accused us of taking her money. My thoughts are we should at least draft a letter of agreement that we and MIL sign, defining this arrangement. Is that adequate? Are other arrangements possible?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

As long as your mother in law is mentally competent, you can do this. It really sounds like a power of attorney would work well for you here. You could recite the language you want for this arrangement.

A local attorney can help you get this done relatively cheap. Or you can use a form online, but you'd need to add your specific language to address the matters you mentioned below.
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 29589
Experience: BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Roger and 13 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
she is mentally competent, that is why she is refusing the POA. will this letter work to give me documentation that she is agreeing to this? should we have it notarized?

Letter of Agreement

I agree to the following arrangement for assistance with the management of my financial affairs.

After the deposit of my monthly SSI check, I will write a check in the amount of $xxxx.00 to Anthony xxx.

This will be deposited into a new checking account, opened in the name of Anthony. and Catherine xxx This account is separate from their current checking and savings accounts and is intended solely for the management of the expenses listed below.

On the twentieth of each month, my son or daughter in law will deposit $xxx into my current checking account to cover the equity payment. They will pay the remaining expenses listed, and also supplement the account on a monthly basis with an amount up to $155.00. They will manage the account so that funds accumulate for those expenses that are paid quarterly and annually.

This agreement will be reviewed annually from the date the letter is signed, or when there is a significant change in either my income or expenses, or a significant reduction in my son or daughter in law's incomes.

(current income and her expenses excluding groceries then listed)

Signed this date of:_________________

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.
Hi - sorry for the delay.

If she's competent and is willing to agree to this, then you can enter into a contract such as the one above. You certainly should have this notarized.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.