Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

In 2012, my husband passed away, and I needed my truck serviced

Customer Question

In 2012, my husband passed away, and I needed my truck serviced very bad( the motor light had come on) I called the Dodge place where I had bought my truck for it to be serviced and was told by the person in charge of the shop, I could no longer come into the waiting room and wait for my truck to be repaired. He said I had a confrontation with someone there, and it isn't so.I just ask for my truck to be serviced, and now my truck is in need of service and they don't want me ther.Isn't this discrimination? Seems ro me where you buy a vechicle is where it should be serviced?what are my options?
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that this has happened.

Unfortunately, businesses have a right to choose with whom to do business, the same as consumers do. If a consumer is not happy with a business, they can go elsewhere. if a business would prefer not to do business with a consumer, they may refuse to do so. There is no law that would require a particular mechanic or dealer to provide service to someone, unless there is a specific service contract where they agree to do so. They do not have to give a reason for denying service, and it's not considered discrimination to refuse service to one person unless the reason for that denial is the person's race, ethnicity, religion or other protected status.

I realize that you may be disappointed by this Answer, as it is not entirely favorable to your situation. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.