Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I have a Charge filled with the EEOC on my employer. My question

I have a Charge filled with the EEOC on my employer. My question is i just gotten releeased from them. They would like for me to sign a Separation Agreement and Releease form. I have not signed it due to i dont know if this will stop me from the suit that i have on them. Can i sign it due to i already had it before my job ended?

JD 1992 : Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.
JD 1992 : You have to be extremely careful in signing anything. These agreements often have language in them that prevents you from pursuing any action any further.
JD 1992 : So even if you were in the process with the EEOC you would have to drop it or, even more likely, that if the EEOC doesn't pursue it (and they usually don't) you can't file a lawsuit.
Customer: This is part of what it is saying. Employee hereby generally releases and dicharges the releasees from any and all suite causes of action, complaints, obligations, demanda or claims of any kind, whether in law or in equity, direct or indirect.If i don't sign this i willnot get my Severance or my retention & Attendance bonus.
JD 1992 : You are releasing them from anything, including what is pending at the EEOC, if you sign that.
Customer: This is part of what it is saying. Employee hereby generally releases and dicharges the releasees from any and all suite causes of action, complaints, obligations, demanda or claims of any kind, whether in law or in equity, direct or indirect.If i don't sign this i willnot get my Severance or my retention & Attendance bonus.EEOC had told me that this shouldn't stop them from going forward with me case. My case with them is on Discrimination on race and color.
JD 1992 : They are incorrect. What you are describing is a general release and if you sign it and then file a lawsuit they are going to use that and the judge is going to dismiss the case.
JD 1992 : You could ask to change the agreement to exclude any matters already pending but if you sign it as is then you will not be able to pursue your case.
Customer: Did you get my last reply?