LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
6761470

Can a private school in Texas withhold transcript and not give

Can a private school in Texas withhold transcript and not give credit?

All the tuituion and other fees (books, meals, etc.) are paid in full for whole year

If the school is not allowed to without transcript without a valid reason, can you please send the texas law code that states this

Thanks in advance
Hi there Sam,
I'm a Texas lawyer and would be happy to try and help out.
Could you please let me know the reason the private school is giving for withholding the transcript given that fees have been paid?
I appreciate your patience as anything you can share might be helpful.
Thanks!
Ben, J.D.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The school has boarding and day students. The last day of school is Thursday May 23. The day students are not required to come on Friday ("fun day"), Saturday (awards), nor Sunday (graduation). The boarding students are also not required to be present on these days. I'm supposed to pick up my sister on Thursday (when the other boarding students are released but can stay if they chose) and the school told me "They would love for her to stay for graduation, but it is not mandatory."

Graduation is Sunday and I told them I will be picking her up on Thursday. They told me they want her to stay and they will not release her transcript if she does not stay on campus till Sunday.

This school has been a hassle to work with so this doesn't come as a shock to me, but our family is going to visit relatives and leave saturday morning and if they are able to withhold her transcript we cannot go. However if they cannot legally hold her transcript without a valid reason that is applicable in this scenario, it'd be great to know what law states that.

She's not graduating. On a personal level they've been very unreasonable while talking to my parents.

So the reason they gave was "We (the school) would like her to stay till Sunday (May 26th), 3 days after school is over."

Sorry for the long story and I appreciate the reply.

Hello again Sam and thanks for writing back,

My name isXXXXX'm a licensed Texas attorney. I am honestly sorry for your circumstances, very much appreciate your patronage, and am glad to try and help out.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to say that the law is indeed on your side here. Here's how this works. It's a matter of common law (cases) as opposed to statutes. Contract law provides that each party has certain duties or responsibilities and certain rewards or benefits. Here, your duty is to pay the amount owed. You have fulfilled your duty. Your reward, so to speak, is for your sister to receive the diploma she is due, having fulfilled her end of the bargain by completing her coursework. The private school has already received its reward by virtue of the monies paid. Its duty, which it is not fulfilling, is to give your sister the diploma that she has earned. That's called a material breach of contract, it's entirely actionable (meaning filing a lawsuit) under a legal theory or doctrine called detrimental reliance and unjust enrichment. In fact, what you're outlined constitutes a rather classic case. I would suggest you mention all of this to the school (feel free to print out this information). If it still persists in not doing the right thing and withholds the diploma, you have ample grounds to have legal counsel make a formal demand of your behalf.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you and your family.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Sam,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.