Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.

Hello. What rights do Delaware prisoners have? I have a friend

Hello. What rights do Delaware prisoners have? I have a friend that is currently in what they call "the hole" for a disciplinary action. However, he got word to me that his conditions are not habitable. He states that he is n a cell by himself (a condition of being in the hole) with only a mattress on the floor, no bed, only one sheet and only one change of clothing and hygiene. He also claims that he is being starved, and had to switch his diet to vegetarian just to be able to have more nutrition. He has 2 more weeks left of his disciplinary time and has been living under these conditions for 2.5 months so far now. Is this something that should be acceptable as punishment or does it fall under Standard 23-3.3 in the ABA Criminal Justice Standards on Treatment of Prisoners. What actions can we take on this matter, if any?

I am an attorney with more than 25 years of experience and look forward to providing you information in this regard

While there can be such discipline measures as "isolation" that does not mean that the inmate is treated in ways that his condition is harmed.

I suggest that you can make a report with the Department of Justice and have them investigate this jail facility and the treatment of your friend

Here is the contact information for the DOJ

Special Litigation Section at(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
U.S. Department of Justice
Civil Rights Division
Special Litigation Section, PHB
Washington, D.C. 20530

And you can use this link
to read more about how the DOJ will investigate such complaints

I suggest you do not hesitate to call they have to investigate every complaint .

Please note that I can only answer what you ask and so if you have further questions in this regard, please follow up with a post here. Otherwise, I thank you in advance for a Positive rating.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you Sam for your prompt reply! Is 90 days in isolation an excessive amount of time for a disciplinary solution or is that something that is normal? It is hard to find anything related to prisoners'criminal rights for my state (Delaware). Are the laws dependent upon each individual state are they nationally recognized? The US Department of Justice is Federal, would they still look into the issues of a state prison?

90 days is not excessive But he has to be allowed some walking recreation time and he has to be in sanitary conditions

The information I gave to you is because the DOJ investigates state prisons and jails,

If you open that blue link you will be able to read about it