Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Question for an attorney knowledgeable in disabled adults (not

Question for an attorney knowledgeable in disabled adults (not seniors) on Medicare who can't get services they need on Medicare.

I have a 37 y/o Daughter who suffered an anoxic brain injury in 1996. She has the need for sophisticated cognitive rehabilitation and mental health services the vast majority of mental health care providers of the quality she needs and the brain injury rehabilitation centers qualified to treat her are not Medicate providers and the out of pocket expense to go to them effectively preclude their care. This is an astonishing discrimination against the disabled and low income people. Why should they not have access to the very best care that people with superior financial resources can get?

My questions are two;

1. Will disabled people with Medicare have access to mental health providers and brain rehab centers facilities that are "not Medicare providers" under ACA?

2. Will people on Medicare who have pre-existing conditions as above and who have family or Special Needs Trust resources to be able to buy private insurance under ACA (even though they have Medicare) that will give them access to mental health providers and brain injury rehab centers who "aren't Medicare providers". My discussions with these non Medicare providers is they will take private insurance, but private insurance won't pay unless Medicare refuses to pay in writing and Medicate won't do that because the request for that written denial is coming from a non Medicate provider. What a colossal snafu. Can our health care system really be this dysfunctional?

How can this barrier to care for the disabled on Medicare be solved by ACA

Thanks,
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your questions. Please allow me to assist you as best as I can.

Medicare and the ACA are unrelated. For all practical purposes the new policies pt in place under the ACA will be a different option for paying citizens, but this new policy will not be Medicare. As a consequence Medicare access will not change (at least as far as the current law is written) and the same limitations that exist with service would exist under the ACA. So no, disabled people with Medicare will not be given covered access to non Medicare related services unless they are willing to pay for them themselves and out of pocket.

2. Will people on Medicare who have pre-existing conditions as above and who have family or Special Needs Trust resources to be able to buy private insurance under ACA (even though they have Medicare) that will give them access to mental health providers and brain injury rehab centers who "aren't Medicare providers".
The short answer to that is 'No". The reason being is because the disabled here with pre-existing conditions are already covered under Medicare. There may be options to purchase supplemental insurance but at least so far it is not yet law or is really funded, but it is an option that was discussed in the past.

My discussions with these non Medicare providers is they will take private insurance, but private insurance won't pay unless Medicare refuses to pay in writing and Medicate won't do that because the request for that written denial is coming from a non Medicate provider. What a colossal snafu. Can our health care system really be this dysfunctional?
Unfortunately, yes, there are quite a few bureaucratic barriers to coverage and most medical providers believe that the concerns will only become more difficult to overcome once the ACA is fully implemented. This is why the state of California is going to hire about 20,000 employees whose sole job it would be to explain and facilitate the CA and other medical requirements to local residents who are seeking treatment.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, you didn't answer my question because your answer is flawed.
You indicate the disabled in Medicare can't get private insurance coverage
Because they are already "covered" by Medicare. That is not even remotely
true. People who need mental health and brain injury
rehab are not "covered" because the providers any
discerning person would go to do not take Medicare.

Can a person who has Medicare cancel or reject it in favor of private
Insurance?
John,

That is not quite what I stated. Medicare covered parties can still obtain additional coverage on their own, I was referring to the fact that this is not part of ACA regulations, nor is it a requirement that those under Medicare coverage have services of procedures covered that aren't listed under Medicare obligations. A person who has Medicare can ALWAYS choose to cancel Medicare, or become ineligible, and seek private coverage instead.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX getting closer. I need clarification
references to sources or verification of your
answers

1. When you say Medicare recipients can receive
additional coverage, do you mean supplemental of
full policies from private insurers. Does supplemental
mean "Medigap" coverage?

2. What do you mean by "nor is it a requirement
that those under Medicare coverage have services
or procedures covered that aren't listed under
Medicare obligations"? I don't get this at all.

3. How does one cancel Medicare and seek private
coverage? Where are the rules or regs for this?
When I talk to private insurers, the minute they
hear Medicare they say you can't get private
policies.

I'm in CA, what resource can I go to for help
with this? My need is urgent. I want an authority
or advocacy agency who can help us get somewhere.
We want an Aetna PPO policy as our first choice.

As soon as I get your clarifications, references to support your opinion and
direction of where to get competent, knowledgeable
help in northern CA, SF Bay Area I will give you an
Excellent rating and release payment.

Thanks
Thank you for your follow-up, John. To ensure I do not miss anything I will respond to each question listed.

mean "Medigap" coverage?
Part of it is Medigap, but other potential options exist. Here is a link to a governmental pamphlet defining what options exist for additional coverage:
http://www.medpac.gov/publications/congressional_reports/Jun02_AppB.pdf

That simply means that if Medicare covers procedure A, B, E, & G, medical facilities are not required under Medicare to provide coverage for procedure D. Medicare only covers what is listed under the policy limitations and no more. The remainder is covered under private insurance or additional coverage, or out of pocket.

policies.
You can follow the link below to get started:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1499/~/terminate-enrollment-with-medicare-part-b

Please consider this link below:
http://www.cahealthadvocates.org/

Excellent rating and release payment.
I appreciate that. We here cannot direct refer you to specific attorneys but I can suggest you browse the listings at www.avvo.com or www.martindale.com should you later decide cto retain counsel.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience: Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.