Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

I am an RN working in a hospital and have received HIPPA training

I am an RN working in a hospital and have received HIPPA training from my employer. I would like to start working in conjunction with a chiropractor teaching nutrition for some of his interested patients. I have already had training and understand HIPPA but where is the best place to find a sample HIPPA confidentiality form I can sign to protect myself , the patients, and the chiropractor I will be working with?
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

There's no "official" form on this, but there are several samples online. The one at the following link is a simple and good example : http://www.nspt.us/pdf/HIPAAConfidentialityAgreement.pdf
Here's another sample that is much longer: http://www.masmedicalstaffing.com/downloads/Travel_HIPAA_Form.pdf
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so as long as I am trained in HIPPA, follow the rules and regulations of the HIPPA laws and am a business associate as an RN with my own license and insurance not an employee of the practice, we are covered with a HIPPA agreement and a business associate/ consultant contract?
Yes, as long as you're in compliance, you should be in good shape on this. You're not liable personally for someone else's violations.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When you say in compliance as far as not sharing information, yes, no problem.I understand and am very careful about keeping info private. How do we know if our contract is in compliance? I followed the examples. There has not been an issue with patients but a former employee of the chiropractor is questioning whether I am violating HIPPA by working in the office. Actually I believe she could be violating HIPPA. She said some patients have "called her" (at home, on her cell phone? why would they have that info?)to ask why she is not there and I am, I do not know if that is true or not but I refuse to discuss her not being there with patients, if they ask if she is here I simply respond No and if they ask why I say, I don't know. she was let go because the business could no longer afford an employee and due to multiple patient complaints about her attitude. If she makes an issue, I want to know we are doing what we need to do to be in compliance
It is very hard to speculate on something like this, but as long as no information is given out to anyone but another medical professional or the patient, then there should be no issue.

Also, giving information out over the phone is tricky - - you just need to make sure that the person is who he/she says he/she is.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, so our contract and HIPPA agreement in place and me following the guidelines should be enough. The guidelines are also printed and posted in the office for patients to view
Yes. It really sounds like you're doing all you can.