Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 29 yrs exp in the practice of law.

If a German citizen married an American Soldier under German

If a German citizen married an American Soldier under German law and got divorced in the United States, is the divorce legal/are they still technically married?

Thank you for the question. As long as the divorce was legal in the country where the divorce took place, then it is recognized in the other country. In other words, a German marriage and lawfully be terminated by a divorce in the U.S., as long as the court had jurisdiction over the parties and their property. So, the marriage would be terminated. However, if there is property in Germany, the divorce court in the U.S. cannot divide that since they have no jurisdiction.

If you need any clarification, please feel free to ask. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.