Dave Kennett
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience:  25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
3396227

I have recently received a number of calls from Alliance Collection

I have recently received a number of calls from Alliance Collection (XXX) XXX-XXXX. The gentlemen says she has been retained by Citibank. He had my last 4 digit of social security and details on second mortgage. my home in Florida was foreclosure by Chase back in March 2011, Total amount 2nd mortgage was 167,000 $
I let te person know I unemployed since January, he offer to make a settlement for 32000 $
On my credit report amount appears as charged off by Citifinancial
I had called several times - no responses from my side
Question - What are my alternatives to manage this situation? Do I need to get a lawyer to manage this situation form me??
Expert:  Dave Kennett replied 1 year ago.
Have you received anything in the mail or just by phone?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just by phone I think I make a mistake, I gave details on mi financial situation, unemployed - I think conversation was tapped
DearCustomer- It probably doesn't matter what you told them over the phone since there's nothing they can do unless they file a suit and get a judgment. The fact that you are unemployed would not be a defense to a lawsuit but if you have no money then there would be nothing they could collect even if they had a judgment. The fact that the original creditor "charged off" the debt is simply an accounting measure and doesn't mean the debt is not still valid as to a third party purchaser of the debt. If you are not in a position to settle the debt there is no point in talking to these collectors. It is not a crime to ow money and if this cannot be resolved it is very ,likely you could have the entire amount discharged in bankruptcy rather than having to pay on something forever. Right now there is no court action so you don't have to do anything. You should not sign or agree to anything that you cannot afford and you shouldn't be intimidated by threats. If you have no assets they can't do anything to you regardless of what they say.
Dave Kennett, Lawyer (JD)
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tks very much