Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law

is it legal to tape record a conversation between myself and

is it legal to tape record a conversation between myself and someone else without their consent in dubuque iowa

RayAnswers : Thanks for your question and good evening.Yes you can here, Iowa law states that phone conversations may be recorded if the person who is recording is involved in the conversation. The recording of a call only requires the consent of one of the parties. The person recording the conversation needs to be "a sender or recipient of the communication" and should be "openly present and participating in the conversation." According to Iowa law, a person can record a conversation if they are involved in the conversation without notifying or getting permission from the other party
RayAnswers : As long as you are present at the time the recording is made this is considered one party consent.It would then not be a problem here to tape such a conversation.
RayAnswers : Here is reference to the Iowa laws for your information.
RayAnswers :
RayAnswers : It has been my pleasure to assist you this evening.
RayAnswers : Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.
RayAnswers : I hope that you will be so kind as to leave a positive rating. If you do have any additional questions about my answer please click the "Continue Conversation Link" so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. Please be aware that any rating of 1 or 2 is reflected as a negative rating and I receive no credit for my answers.This communication does not establish an attorney client relationship here.Information provided is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.
RayAnswers : Thanks again for letting me chat with you.