Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.
18572087

Long story short, I was taking a free response test in class

Customer Question

Long story short, I was taking a free response test in class and skipped one of the questions. Later, I wrote the answer to the question in really quickly when the test was passed back and then told the teacher he missed it. A couple days later, the teacher asked me to come to his office and wanted me to sign a piece of paper where I could either accept the penalty of a 0 on the test (which drops my grade to a 75 even if I get a perfect score on everything else, which is nowhere near likely) or take the matter to student conduct court. His proof was a xeroxed copy of the fronts of the test, but the answer I wrote in was on the back. What should I do? It's my first offense and I'm just really scared. I realize I shouldn't have done it, but accepting the punishment could cost me my scholarship. Should I confess or deny the accusations?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. It sounds like the professor has you dead to rights. In that situation if he chooses to escalate it and send it to student conduct review, you may risk the danger of not just failing the course but expulsion and a public record of why you were removed from the school. Unless you have any defense to your actions (and it does not appear that there is any defense based on your facts), taking what is essentially a private disciplinary action from the professor is the easiest and likely least adversely affected option for you to to consider.Good luck.
Thank you for your question.

I am genuinely sorry to hear that you are in this situation. It sounds like the professor has you dead to rights. In that situation if he chooses to escalate it and send it to student conduct review, you may risk the danger of not just failing the course but expulsion and a public record of why you were removed from the school. Unless you have any defense to your actions (and it does not appear that there is any defense based on your facts), taking what is essentially a private disciplinary action from the professor is the easiest and likely least adversely affected option for you to to consider.

Good luck.
I see that you rated my answer as 'poor'. What specifically did I fail to answer, or are you unhappy over the situation and the reality of your vulnerability, something that I personally did not cause or create? Please advise.