Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I am a resident of Georgia and have an AT&T landline. I would

I am a resident of Georgia and have an AT&T landline. I would like the get records of the outgoing phone calls that have been placed on this line, but AT&T tells me this will take a subpoena. Will the subpoena have to be issued by a court, and if so would that be a criminal, civil or small claims court?
Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

You can only get a subpoena when there is a lawsuit pending. If you can tell me why you want the records I might be able to suggest a route.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It could be socially/professionally damaging {i.e. highly embarrassing}. Could it be issued simply to determine if a lawsuit is needed?
Sometimes a judge will allow you to do "pre-suit" discovery and file a lawsuit just for that purposes. You would need a lawyer to do it for you and it is unusual but possible.