Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Attorney
Experience:  Experienced in both state and federal court.

If I have a communicable disease, can my school district release

If I have a communicable disease, can my school district release me? If I signed a paper 3 years ago? Who would they legally file that document with?

TexLawyer : Good morning. I'll be assisting you with your question.
TexLawyer : Are you a teacher? When you say that you "signed a paper 3 years ago," what exactly do you mean?
Customer: I don't know if it was related, but HR sent me the questionnaire last fall and people have been asking me to get tested.
Customer: Is there a law protecting my job, or are school districts exempt
TexLawyer : Are you a teacher?
Customer: yes
TexLawyer : School districts are not exempt from various laws protecting a person from discrimination based on a medical condition. However, the school district would be allowed to put a person on leave if they had an illness that was potentially dangerous to the students and other employees.
TexLawyer : So, if a person had a highly contagious airborne disease, the school district would have a responsibility to remove that person from the school so that they do not infect other people. If, however, it were something that required contact with that person's blood, it would be much more difficult for the school district to argue that the teacher posed a danger.
Customer: Where do I go to find out what I signed if they legally filed it with courts or someone?
TexLawyer : If you signed something with the school district, they should have a copy. They should not be filing documents in any court with your personal medical information on it.
TexLawyer : You should go to HR.
Customer: The HR directors changed and the new one said she didn't know anything about it. I will ask directly again. Also, can students be asked to attend an alternative school if they are tested for a blood disease?
TexLawyer : That would depend on school district policy, but I'm not aware of any laws preventing it.
Customer: I'll check district policy. I think the document gave my district access to my family's medical records upon request. Can I write another statement at each doctors visit to prevent my district from learning about the medical visit?
TexLawyer : You can, or you can revoke the document you signed, assuming that you signing it is not a condition of employment.
Customer: I'll ask. Are doctors held to contact employment and schools if testing positive for a blood disease?
TexLawyer : No. They may not release your medical records to anyone without your consent.
Customer: I want to go to the courts to see if my district filed that document. What is the tile of office?
Customer: Sorry, title of office
TexLawyer : That would not necessarily be filed with the courts.
Customer: Would it be with the school district's lawyers?
TexLawyer : They may have a copy, but everything you signed when you were employed should be held at your HR department.
Customer: Thank you. I think I have enough information. the best $44 spent. Am I automaticaly signed up for a monthly service, because I do not want that.
TexLawyer : I don't know if you are signed up for a subscription, but I will send this to customer service to make sure.
TexLawyer : If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer. Good luck.
Customer: Thank you. I thought this was confidential and secure website
TexLawyer : It is confidential in the sense that nobody will know your name, but the question is publicly available. I can have it locked, if you would like.
Customer: Please lock it.
TexLawyer : No problem.
TexLawyer : Once we have ended this chat, I will send it to customer service.
Customer: I will exit now, thank you and I will rate your answers in a positive way.
TexLawyer : Glad to help. Have a great day.
TexLawyer : If there isn't anything else I can do for you, please remember to "rate" my answer.
I just wanted to follow up with you and see if you located the documents from HR. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.