Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

Hello. I am trying to find the top few (say 3 or so) Subject

Hello. I am trying to find the top few (say 3 or so) Subject Matter Experts on The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, Section 1 (Rights Guaranteed). I am specifically interested in how "Adjudication Withheld" status is viewed/treated.

Any names you can come up with are sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

XXXXX XXXXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there:

I'm glad to help. Can you tell me a bit more about the context of your question? My main concern is that the individuals that I would identify may not be accessible to the average Joe, so if you are looking for someone that you can contact and hope to receive a response, I might identify different folks other than if the question was purely academic in nature. Also, it could be argued that at least one of the top three is currently a court justice, and would therefore be unavailable to offer any legal analysis even if the individual was accessible. Just a bit more information would help ensure that you receive the most useful information possible. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to speak with the experts on a consulting basis to see if I might have a case or other recourse regarding how my Adjudication Withheld status is effecting me from State to State. I have to register in Florida as a sex offender even though Adjudication was Withheld. When I moved to Texas, I did NOT have to register since their rules did not specifically state that Adjudication Withheld was included. This is the tip of the iceberg since there is no single place where the rules are spelled out. Even though I am "free" (no longer on probation), I cannot move easily between states since there is no way to know the rules for each state. Another example: If I want to move to California, I would have to move there and then (and only then) would they tell me if I have to register. How can I rent an apartment or buy a house in an area which may want to kick me out if I am registered?

So, yes, the experts need to be available for contact and to point me in the right direction. However, finding an expert who is not available to the average Joe is appealing since I bet they would have more answers, so hopefully you can also give me ways to contact them. (only give me names I can contact)

FYI: In Florida, there are about 6,200 Adjudication Withheld sex offenders, so I've even thought about some sort of group action.

I travel for business and I have to stay less than 5 days or so (varies by state) in one location or I have to register. I UNDERSTAND THAT IF I WERE ADJUDICATED GUILTY, THAT I WOULDN'T HAVE A LEG TO STAND ON; however, without "guilt", I (and the others) fall into this "grey area" which needs better definition. Not sure if there is some sort of discrimination here or not, thus this request. Hopefully, The 14th amendment would take over and decide our rights for all states.

I have rambled...sorry... Your direction is appreciated.

Mark
XXX-XXX-XXXX

PS - The window this was typed into did not function correctly. Each word would appear on the botXXXXX XXXXXne and then move to the line above. I am a computer analyst, so I notice these things. Please report this.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for reporting the technical problem, Mark. I will pass that information on to the website engineers.

Do you have any geographic limitations to your search?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No geographic limitations, since I would be communicating by phone/email. Of course personal connection is always good. I live in Naples, Florida, but since I am looking for the top people, I have to take them where I find them.

Also, any other thoughts/suggestions you can give me would be appreciated. I am taking a shot in the dark regarding 14th Amendment. I've also thought about DOJ Discrimination lawsuits, etc.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
I'll start by saying that the website actually prohibits me from recommending anyone, so I will instead give you these names as "examples" of folks who are renowned for their expertise in the practice area. I apologize for the slight delay as I gathered links to their law firm pages. Naturally, there is a bit of subjectivity in opining who is the best at anything, so if this list does not meet your needs, please let me know.

1. Theodore B. Olson
http://www.gibsondunn.com/lawyers/tolson

2. Charles Fried
http://www.law.harvard.edu/faculty/directory/10288/Fried

3. Cass R Sunstein
http://www.law.uchicago.edu/node/3552/cv

Any one of those guys would blow your socks off.

From there, it gets kind of tough. There are very few attorneys who actually practice Constitutional Law. For most attorneys, Constitutional issues only come up once in a great while, so you need either a lot of money or a lot of connections to consult with someone who specializes in the 14th Amendment or any other Constitutional issue. I literally couldn't recommend anyone in Naples even if it was permitted.

However, I can give as an example a few Florida attorneys that I estimate would be very well qualified to help with any 14th Amendment question and related criminal law matter:

1. XXXXX XXXXX Benjamin
http://benjaminaaronson.com/bio/JamesBenjamin.asp

2. Patrick Leduc

I hope this helps. Let me know if further clarification is needed. Thanks.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience: Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More info needed:

FYI: I found Patrick Leduc (your link was wrong)

One of the two Florida lawyers you gave as examples had an Area of Practice listed as First Amendment.

Can you give me a few examples of lawyers who have Area of Practice equal to Fourteenth Amendment please? I don't necessarily need criminal lawyers but rather someone to think outside the box regarding my situation.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I do see that I accidentally provided Mr. Benjamin's website twice.

You said that one of the two Florida lawyers that I gave as an example had an area of practice listed as First Amendment. Naturally, this would not preclude that individual from being competent in 14th Amendment issues. It is such a narrow area of law, I wouldn't expect an attorney to advertise. If the law was a human body, and Constitutional law was the foot, finding a practitioner who focused on the 14th Amendment would be like finding a podiatrist specializing in the pinky toe... there are probably a few out there who could be considered pinky toe experts, but there's no guarantee that they're any good at what they do, and good luck finding them. Your pinky toe may have the problem, but you really want a podiatrist.

If you are looking locally, I would strongly recommend that you concentrate your search to criminal law attorneys that have experience arguing Constitutional issues within the criminal law context. Naturally, you know your case and your questions best, so you are clearly in the best position to determine what kind of attorney would be best equipped to answer your questions.

In actual practice, the 14th Amendment issues that you are most likely to see arise are the due process clause and the equal protection clause. Due process issues most commonly arise in the criminal law context. Equal protection issues predominantly arise in the criminal law context as well, but it is much more over the map than due process matters.

So given that information, I'm not sure how to best direct you to examples of lawyers that have areas of practice equal to 14th amendment. If you don't mind waiting, I would like to ask our other attorneys affiliated with the website to see if they know anyone who has especially extensive experience in 14th Amendment issues. Naturally, I will investigate the track record of any such suggestion as well. Thanks for your patience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait. Thanks.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Great. I'll report back with what I learn.
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience.

Here are a few other names.

1. Nina Perales
110 Broadway St Ste 300
San Antonio, TX 78205-1910
Work Phone Number: 210-224-5476

(Current website uncertain)

2. Gregory Garre
http://www.lw.com/people/GregoryGGarre

Both of these folks have experience as lead counsel arguing14th Amendment disputes before the U.S. Supreme Court. If you are not aware, aside from it being an exceptional honor, it requires special admission to argue in front of the U.S. Supreme Court.

Naturally, please feel free to let me know if your needs are still not met or if further assistance is needed. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy with the info you have provided. Thanks!