Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I live in VA. I have on my property vehicles belonging to

I live in VA. I have on my property vehicles belonging to an individual who has declared chapter 13 bankruptcy. I have notified the Trustee and asked for information as to how they would like the property handled. I have not heard.

Today a local police office arrived on my property with the owner in bankruptcy, he had a title which he said was for one of the vehicles in question. The police officer told me I have to let him on my property to take the vehicle.

The vehicle was inoperable and so I bought some time. The police officer is telling me that I have to let him onto my property even though the vehicle should be part of the estate controlled by the trustee. Others are telling me that he cannot get access to his property without a court order.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Why did police officer have the title for the vehicle and did the police officer had a court order to pick up the vehicle or what were the legal grounds for the police officer to take possession of the vehicle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The owner of the vehicle had given him the title and no he no court order. Officer said that he could lawfully escort the owner onto my property and take the vehicle
Dear XXXXX,

Have you informed the police officer that the owner is in bankruptcy and notified the bankruptcy trustee about this vehicle situation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes, but the bankrupcy court was not advised that this proprty was part of his estate, he tried to hide it from the court
Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

Unfortunately, the only option that you have is to report this situation to the bankruptcy trustee in writing and to let them investigate it.

If the title is still in the owner's name, he in fact can be escorted by police officer to reclaim his vehicle on your property, unless you have some legal lien on this vehicle and it would not be advisable to deny police access to your property to remove this vehicle and the only other thing that might be a good idea is to ask the police officer to call his patrol supervisor and to explain the situation the police supervisor and to let police supervisor make a decision on this issue.

I wish you the best of luck and please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney