ScottyMacEsq, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

is it legal for HR to reply with only "we cannot hire you

is it legal for HR to reply with only "we cannot hire you"

ScottyMacEsq : Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.
ScottyMacEsq : Does this pertain to US law?
Customer: yes
Customer: Dear XXXXXmy,Thank you for your response for my company's request for hiring.After looking through the resume that you sent, I am sorry but ACC cannothire you.Thank you for answering our inquiryKathy GrossPresidentAutomated Climate Controls, Inc.
ScottyMacEsq : Thank you. Yes, it's absolutely legal for them to do that. They don't even have to respond at all. Only if there's some insinuation or evidence of discrimination could it be actionable (and even then it would have to be shown that this was a pattern of behavior, etc...). But in no state or federal law is HR required to give any reason or rationale for not hiring.
Customer: ok, thks
ScottyMacEsq : Again, a company can't use certain factors (age, race, religion, gender, or disability) as factors in making this decision.
ScottyMacEsq : But there's no requirement that they establish why...
ScottyMacEsq : I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!
ScottyMacEsq : Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
ScottyMacEsq : Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response.
ScottyMacEsq : Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
ScottyMacEsq : My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!