Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

What type of info do you need?

Customer Question

What type of info do you need?
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your post.

My apologies, what is your underlying question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My husband had a verbal agreement with Howard Hannah real estate to become an agent. He attended three weeks of Howard Hannah courses, graduated from that and then got his real estate license from the State of Michigan. He was to immediately start working for them after getting his real estate license. They hired a previous agent and told him he will no longer be hired by them. Isn't this a breach of verbal contract? Does he have any recourse with them?
Thank you for your follow-up.

To answer directly, there is no obligation for the employer to hire your spouse. What happened in the past was an 'offer to hire' rather than a contract. Until both parties begin working toward one another, the offer is generally able to be rescinded and cancelled at any time. The only potential argument here in demanding employment would be on the basis of 'detrimental reliance', that is, if based on their offer your spouse directly spent money on the classes and ended up getting a license with expectation of working for them. Then at least the cost of the classes could be pursued legally, although they still do not have to provide him with employment. As a consequence there is no breach here as the promise made had no basis--by that I mean there was no valuable consideration provided by either party to make their offer to hire binding. The only recourse is to contact them and to request that they consider changing their position on his employment, but the courts would not compel them to hire your husband as there was not enough for a binding agreement.

Good luck.