Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

My husband had a verbal agreement of employment with Howard

Customer Question

My husband had a verbal agreement of employment with Howard Hannah real estate. He had to attend their classes for three weeks and get his Michigan Real Estate license. After doing both and graduating from the Howard Hannah course and passing the real estate test, he was told they were not going to hire him. He found out they had brought in a former agent into the office. Isn't this a breach of implied contract? My husband had a misdemeanor two years ago which he feels might be preventing his employment, but why would they have made this agreement with him? Is there anything he can do? After all his work of three weeks of classes, mileage, and the cost of the real estate course and license, he now feels he's done this for nothing. Please help - does he have any recourse with Howard Hannah? Obviously, he will pursue other brokers, but he was so high on the Howard Hannah company which is the reason he pursued this in the first place.
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 3 years ago.

My name is Lucy and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

Because employment is at-will, there is unfortunately no recourse in a situation where an employer offers a contract to someone and later rescinds it. As long as there is no signed contract, the employer is free to change their mind and terminate the relationship. I realize that it's completely unfair, but it's not illegal. I hope that he will be able to find another job to use the license.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appreciate your response. Doesn't he have any recourse on the mileage, gas and three weeks of not looking for other work when he attended their classes?
He unfortunately doesn't, unless there was any agreement that he would be reimbursed for those things. Otherwise, the judge considers how he benefits from getting the real estate license, since he gets to keep and use it even if he's not working for that company.