Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

If a sister in law has a letter of executor for her parents

Customer Question

If a sister in law has a letter of executor for her parents belongings from over 25 years ago
and she split the belongings with my wife who has sinced passed away a couple of years ago. Does the sister in law have the right to now claim those belongings for herself? Can they not go to my wifes kids as she wanted? Cqan I be sued for them?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Once the parents' belongings were distributed 25 years ago, they became the property of each recipient sibling. In other words, the stuff your wife received became the property of your wife irrevocably. It would be thus distributable pursuant to your wife's will and your sister in law would have absolutely no valid claim to later retrieve ownership of any of these belongings.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!