How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TexLaw Your Own Question

TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TexLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Look for help.answering a question aout small claims appeal

Resolved Question:

Look for help.answering a question aout small claims appeal in NY state. Was plaintiff in small arms case. Defendant had a lawyer.judge awarded me 1800 of 5000 claim buti dont understand. He mentioned that I can not bring the clain with a power of attorney for my hunby, but at pretrial I told him my hubby was leaving for Afghanistan. He said I could hire a lawyer with that poa, but instead of dimissing it to hire an attorney he makes a judgement. Im confused. Can this be appealed.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

What the judge was trying to explain to you is that only a lawyer can represent another person in court. So it does not matter if you have your husband's POA, if you are not an attorney, you cannot represent him in court.

You can always appeal your small claims decision. Within thirty (30) days from the date of the Small Claims decision, file (by mail or in person) a written Notice of Appeal with the Small Claims Court which heard and decided your case. A filing fee of $30.00 must be collected at the time you file your appeal. The notice should state that you (as "the appellant") intend to appeal from the decision. It should name which Small Claims court heard your case and the date the decision was rendered. Include your address and your opponent's address. A copy of the notice must be delivered or sent to the opposing party in your case ("the respondent").

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Why did he hear the whole case then made that decision. Seems odd. Then made a decision instead of dismissing it. Odd. Have you ever heard of this?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Small claims judges usually do not read anything submitted to them until the case comes to trial. He was likely letting you explain your situation in full to see if there was any reason to not dismiss. Apparently there was enough reason to give you some money which you were asking for (you did say you won $1800 out of the $5k you asked for, right?)
TexLaw, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4430
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
TexLaw and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The defendant had a lawyer and argued accord and satifaction defense because we offered settlement, but defendant did not follow terms of accord (there was proof) so I opted to ask the court for damages in connection with the initial breach.Judge only ordered the accord. Even though he had no proof. Long story short, I looked like the meddling wife ... Thank you for you time.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.