N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983
9653905

If someone has placed hidden cameras and/or listening devices

If someone has placed hidden cameras and/or listening devices in my home, more specifically in my bedroom, is this an invasion of my privacy? What are my rights? The people I believe are behind this often make jokes and reference to very intimate and personal things that have taken place in my bedroom.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

What you describe is a crime. In fact, there are two separate provisions of the MS code that apply

The first has to do with recording audio conversations. The statute prohibits the willful interception of any wire or other communication unless that person is either a participant or has the consent of at least one party to the communication. Miss. Code Ann. § 41-29-531(e). SO if someone is recording you, and they are not present? That is a crime.

The second has to do with recording video. The law prohibits secretly photographing, filming or producing any images of another person “with lewd, licentious or indecent intent” without that person’s consent while in a fitting room, tanning booth or area where there would be a reasonable expectation of privacy. Miss. Code Ann. § 97-29-63. So in your bedroom? That clearly violates the law.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: you have a right to privacy...if someone is recording you, against your consent, you can report this to local law enforcement and allow them to investigate .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since people on my job are commenting on the intimate details of my personal life--details that only took place in the privacy of my home, I assume they are aware of what has or is occurring. My question is what steps do I take to prove that there are devices in my home? Do I hire someone? If so, then who? Also, if they locate devices, how do I proceed? Do I have then removed? Do I try to have the origin of them traced? I need to know what steps to take to end this and to protect my privacy. I have had a home security system installed since all of this has occurred, but it's not the most high tech equipment. However, I'm sure it'll deter burglars. I just want justice for me and all of the people who may have been recorded in my home as well. What are their rights? Please help me because the people I suspect are behind this include my boss and a few of his cohorts because they're the ones who keep commenting on what I'm doing and saying in my home. I guess since he, the sheriff and district attorney are such great friends, he believes he's above the law. That shouldn't be the case.

What have you tried so far?: I haven't really done anything other than have a security system installed; however, a lot of my most intimate moments have obviously already been recorded.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...you ask

"what are their rights"? Who? the people who are recording you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now that I know what's been done to me is illegal, I need to know how to proceed. What are MY rights? What steps do I take to locate the cameras and pursue legal action? Everything I have now is only my word against theirs. I don't have any proof except for them revealing intimate details of my personal life to me. There's no other way they could possibly know this information without seeing it on camera and recording it because it's extremely private. Do I hire a professional to locate the camera(s) and listening device(s)? If they locate them, do I leave them in place? Remove them? Is it possible that the origin of the devices can be traced?
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

I will send this on to an expert who may be able to assist. I wish you the best of luck with this

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.
You asked:
Do I hire a professional to locate the camera(s) and listening device(s)?
Yes, some private investigators can detect bugs and hidden cameras.

If they locate them, do I leave them in place? Remove them?
I would leave them in place until the police arrive to document that they are there.

Is it possible that the origin of the devices can be traced?
Yes, they may have fingerprints on them, and it may be possible to determine where they are transmitting to, and where they were obtained. You need a private investigator who handles what is called electronic countermeasures to locate and trace the devices.

I hope this information is helpful.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience: since 1983
Thank you for the Excellent rating!