How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 793
Experience:  Practicing attorney licensed for over 25 years.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My friend testified in a state investigation of the son of

This answer was rated:

My friend testified in a state investigation of the son of an influential lawyer in our community. He has been told that he cannot discuss his testimony with anyone. He is now being sued for defamation of character by the probable defendant in the federal case. He is being told by the district attorney and the county judge that he must submit to a deposition with questions from the probable defendant. (The county judge and the district attorney have repeatedly neglected to send information to the attorney general's office regarding the case - they are friends and political cronies of the attorney in question.) They sent a supoena to the state agency requesting their records of what was said by my friend. The agency has filed paperwork to quash the supoena and sent my friend a copy of the law which states that he cannot be sued in civil court based on his testimony and that he is not allowed to share his testimony. He has asked for legal aid (he is on welfare and food stamps) and they say that they don't have the resources to handle his case. He really needs someone to help him to not be bullied into violating the law by this lawyer and his cronies by answering their questions.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I would like to assist you with you question today.

When you say that the agency has filed a motion to quash, was this motion filed by the State Attorney General's office?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was filed by the agency but it does have the signature of an assistant state attorney general on the last page.
Thank you for that additional information. What question are you asking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My friend is slow and has difficulty communicating. He can't afford an attorney and the legal aid people say they can't handle his case. No area attorneys will even look at his case. Is there any way he can get someone to help him. His father tried to help him yesterday in the hearing for the postponement and the judge threatened to throw him in jail just for telling his son to give a copy of the papers that the agency sent him.

How can we get him some help in the courtroom?
What city is Oklahoma is the filed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I put Waurika down in my first reply to this. Please do not contact any Waurika attorneys. There are only two and one of them is the attorney I mentioned in my description of the case and the other is his junior partner.
I would not contact them. It is very small town, that is part of the problem he is facing.

Here is a link to a list of services that provide low cost or free representation. He should try contacting these. If the provider is not able to assist him , he should inquire if they are aware of someone who can represent him.

He may also want to contact the AG that filed the motion to quash and see if he can refer him to an attorney.

If he has questions about the legal process, I'd be more than happy to help answer those.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and other Legal Specialists are ready to help you