Lucy, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Lawyer

I live in a home owners association, Florida. No committee

I live in a home owners association, Florida. No committee or board has any white people on it. The residents are of mixed backgrounds, including many white people. The board has been asked to have white people on it, but this is met with stony silence. I think this is reverse, de-facto discrimination.
1. Does the law require that a white person would be included ?
2. What is the procedure to include at least one white person ?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

1. The law does not address the racial makeup of members of the board. There is no requirement that members of any particular race be included, as long as the bylaws do not specifically prohibit members of a specific race from being on the board.

2. When a board opening becomes available, it will be necessary to find a white person who is willing to accept the position. That could mean running for election, or asking to be appointed to fill an opening. If the board refuses to allow a person to run in an election because of his race, or refuses to appoint someone to a vacancy for that reason, then that person may have a claim against the board. In the meantime, the law allows board members to be recalled with or without cause by a majority vote of the membership.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.