I need surgery on my ankle and would like to collect disability pay. I understand.
What steps should I follow, You follow those provided HERE.
and are there any conditions to be met/documents to submit? Of course.
As noted by CA EDD:
1. You must be unable to do your regular or customary work for at least eight consecutive days.
2. You must be employed or actively looking for work at the time you become disabled.
3. You must have lost wages because of your disability or, if unemployed, have been actively looking for work.
4. You must have earned at least $300 from which State Disability Insurance (SDI) deductions were withheld during a previous period.
5. You must be under the care and treatment of a licensed doctor or accredited religious practitioner during the first eight days of your disability. (The beginning date of a claim can be adjusted to meet this requirement.) You must remain under care and treatment to continue receiving benefits.
6. You must complete and mail a claim form within 49 days of the date you became disabled or you may lose benefits.(See the online avenue, above.)
7. Your doctor must complete the medical certification of your disability.
8. An independent medical examination to determine your initial or continuing eligibility may be required.
Also, am I allowed to work for another company from home while I recover while also receiving disability pay from my original employer? There is no law prohibiting this and so long as you meet your other criteria, you can still get SDI. Remember, it is partial wage replacement, and requires a loss of wages, so if you earn as much working from home as you do at work, you will not be eligible based on the number. However, your employer may or may not find it acceptable - so yo you may want to discuss it with the employer first.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).