Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

In Missouri, I have a situation in which my lawyer quit and

Customer Question

In Missouri, I have a situation in which my lawyer quit and I have a disciplinary claim against him. In fact several legal professionals have urged me to file a claim.

He has asked me to sign a consent to withdraw so we don't have to have a hearing.

He quit on me twice. The short version is that he wanted to be on a TV show with me and pressured me to be on the show despite my reservations. I seemed to want to promote himself instead of do the work for my case.

He seems to be playing way too nice now. Should I sign the agreement to withdraw form?

I have a high profile case involving a cult, and I need to hurry up and get him out so I can get a new lawyer...
Submitted: 1 year ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

You are not obligated to sign an agreement to allow this attorney to withdraw from the case, however the attorney can still ask the court to allow for him to withdraw from the case, and generally unless there are some pending motions or hearings, the court would grant such request to withdraw.

It is extremely important that you do consult with a local legal malpractice attorney who can evaluate your entire case and to advice you whether you can pursue a claim against this attorney for malpractice.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is specifically regarding this:

If I sign the form, do I inadvertently waive any right or privileged to file a grievance?

Because he quit, and then I sign the form does that mean that I agree with him quitting?

I don't think this really addressed my question. I am fully aware that he can in will discontinue being my attorney. I just don't want to unknowingly agree to something that would jeopardize my claims against him.
Dear XXXXX,If your attorney withdrew / quit and then you do sign the form stating that you consent with his withdrawal, it would mean that you do consent without any objection to such withdrawal.Generally, just because a client signs a stipulation that allows for an attorney to withdraw from the case, does not mean that the client automatically waives his right to file a grievance or a claim for medical malpractice, however signing such consent to withdraw can potentially adverse client's future claims related to grievances or any potential legal malpractice claim, but only your local legal malpractice attorney can make a specific determination as to whether signing such stipulation allowing your current attorney to withdraw, would negatively impact any of your potential future claims against this attorney, as such specific determination can only be made by reviewing all the facts, documents and records related to your situation / case.I wish you the best of luck!
Dear James,

I have provided you with correct an accurate answer to your question and I am quiet shocked that you feel my answer to you constitutes "poor service".

Please keep in mind that we are not permitted to advise customers as to what they should or should not do, as such legal advise can only obtained from a local attorney upon review of your entire case and I am only able to provide customers with general answers to their legal questions, so please do not hold this rule against me personally, as your negative rating does reflect poorly on my performance.

At this time can you please let me know why you felt my answer was "poor service" and please let me know what additional information are you seeking at this time?