How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 15803
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Missouri, I have a situation in which my lawyer quit and

Customer Question

In Missouri, I have a situation in which my lawyer quit and I have a disciplinary claim against him. In fact several legal professionals have urged me to file a claim.

He has asked me to sign a consent to withdraw so we don't have to have a hearing.

He quit on me twice. The short version is that he wanted to be on a TV show with me and pressured me to be on the show despite my reservations. I seemed to want to promote himself instead of do the work for my case.

He seems to be playing way too nice now. Should I sign the agreement to withdraw form?

I have a high profile case involving a cult, and I need to hurry up and get him out so I can get a new lawyer...
Submitted: 3 years ago via Cornell Legal Info Institute.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

You are not obligated to sign an agreement to allow this attorney to withdraw from the case, however the attorney can still ask the court to allow for him to withdraw from the case, and generally unless there are some pending motions or hearings, the court would grant such request to withdraw.

It is extremely important that you do consult with a local legal malpractice attorney who can evaluate your entire case and to advice you whether you can pursue a claim against this attorney for malpractice.

I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My question is specifically regarding this:

If I sign the form, do I inadvertently waive any right or privileged to file a grievance?

Because he quit, and then I sign the form does that mean that I agree with him quitting?

I don't think this really addressed my question. I am fully aware that he can in will discontinue being my attorney. I just don't want to unknowingly agree to something that would jeopardize my claims against him.
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,If your attorney withdrew / quit and then you do sign the form stating that you consent with his withdrawal, it would mean that you do consent without any objection to such withdrawal.Generally, just because a client signs a stipulation that allows for an attorney to withdraw from the case, does not mean that the client automatically waives his right to file a grievance or a claim for medical malpractice, however signing such consent to withdraw can potentially adverse client's future claims related to grievances or any potential legal malpractice claim, but only your local legal malpractice attorney can make a specific determination as to whether signing such stipulation allowing your current attorney to withdraw, would negatively impact any of your potential future claims against this attorney, as such specific determination can only be made by reviewing all the facts, documents and records related to your situation / case.I wish you the best of luck!
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Dear James,

I have provided you with correct an accurate answer to your question and I am quiet shocked that you feel my answer to you constitutes "poor service".

Please keep in mind that we are not permitted to advise customers as to what they should or should not do, as such legal advise can only obtained from a local attorney upon review of your entire case and I am only able to provide customers with general answers to their legal questions, so please do not hold this rule against me personally, as your negative rating does reflect poorly on my performance.

At this time can you please let me know why you felt my answer was "poor service" and please let me know what additional information are you seeking at this time?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions