How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal for my husband to record my conversations with

This answer was rated:

Is it legal for my husband to record my conversations with others without me knowing about it?He put a recording device in my car without my that legal?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.It is illegal to place a device for the purposes of audio recording a third party, without consent, in a place, such as a vehicle, where an expectation of privacy does exist and it is also a crime in most states to do so.I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in the state of it a crime in this state?
Thank you for your follow up.

While Louisiana doesn't appear to have specific law addressing such illegal audio recording without consent in a place where third party has a reasonable expectation of privacy, however it is illegal under federal law and a federal felony to use a machine to capture the communications of others, without court approval, unless one of the parties has given their prior consent. It is likewise a federal crime to use or disclose any information acquired by illegal wiretapping or electronic eavesdropping.

Violations can result in imprisonment for not more than 5 years; fines up to $250,000 (up to $500,000 for organizations); in civil liability for damages, attorneys fees and possibly punitive damages.

I wish you the best of luck!

Related Legal Questions