Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Is it legal for my husband to record my conversations with

Is it legal for my husband to record my conversations with others without me knowing about it?He put a recording device in my car without my knowledge...is that legal?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.It is illegal to place a device for the purposes of audio recording a third party, without consent, in a place, such as a vehicle, where an expectation of privacy does exist and it is also a crime in most states to do so.I wish you the best of luck!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in the state of Louisiana...is it a crime in this state?
Thank you for your follow up.

While Louisiana doesn't appear to have specific law addressing such illegal audio recording without consent in a place where third party has a reasonable expectation of privacy, however it is illegal under federal law and a federal felony to use a machine to capture the communications of others, without court approval, unless one of the parties has given their prior consent. It is likewise a federal crime to use or disclose any information acquired by illegal wiretapping or electronic eavesdropping.

Violations can result in imprisonment for not more than 5 years; fines up to $250,000 (up to $500,000 for organizations); in civil liability for damages, attorneys fees and possibly punitive damages.

I wish you the best of luck!