How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 30868
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a divorce decree awarding me $7500 from my ex by Dec

Customer Question

I have a divorce decree awarding me $7500 from my ex by Dec 2012. I have not seen a dime and he has no intentions of paying me. He has since been gifted a 2007 Durango from his mother who paid $16,000 and received our 97 dodge 1500 truck which was purchased during the marriage.
1st problem everything was done in Perry County which put the wrong name on the decree for the ex. It was later amended 8 mo's later. I have 7 comtempts on file which they will not set a court date for.
2. Can I transfer the judgment to Franklin County Court and move to collect? Ex works in county and I live in Franklin Co.
3. Can I take legal steps to have the court take 1 or both vehicles and sell for debt owed?
I need to know actual steps and forms to file please.
4. Where do I find information on the procedures I need to file?
I live in Ohio and went Pro Se. I was really happy with the decree results.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question. IF you have a court order that directs him to pay you money, and if he has failed to do so, then you can file a motion for contempt against him with the court and ask the judge to order him to pay up immediately. If he can't/doesn't, then the judge can order him to sit in jail until he does. Also, you can issue a writ of execution on anything he owns - - including these vehicles - - based on the judgment that you have in your possession. Once you repossess the vehicles, you could sell them and use the proceeds to pay the amount you're due.It's probably best to file the contempt motion and let the judge know that he must pay immediately or face possible jail time. Usually, the judge will give him a short period of time to comply or else......

Here's a link to a sample motion for contempt/order to show cause you could look at:

Also, your local court clerk's office will likely have similar forms at the office or even online.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just stated I have 7 contempt charges pending some are over 2 yrs old and the last file is 6 months old. If I expect to collect I need to move this to another county court and that was the fist part of my questions, how to do so. Can you provide me with the steps to transfer or move judgment from one court to another or not?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I made my questions clear and never received an answer to the questions asked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you supply me with the information I am requesting or not? I don't need to be told how to file a contempt, I now how to do so and that was not one of my questions.
Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

Hi -

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were looking to do.

As for transferring the judgment, all you have to do is get a certified copy from the court clerk and then file that judgment with the court clerk in the county you're wanting to enforce it in - - such as Franklin County.

The only issue you'll have is that you can only enforce the judgment in Franklin County IF he (1) lives there, or (2) owns/has property there. You mentioned that he works in Franklin Co., so you would be able to file the judgment there and then issue a garnishment to his employer for payment of his income until paid in full. There are several Ohio counties online that have forms available for garnishment, such as the following one: Your county likely has similar forms you can use.

However, if your ex does not live in Franklin county, you could not seek to hold him in contempt of court OR execute on his vehicles through another county. Instead, that would have to be done through the county where he lives/where the property is located.

Thus, you CAN transfer the judgment simply by getting a certified copy and filing it in any county you wish. However, the court only has jurisdiction over the PERSON if he lives there and over the PROPERTY that's located within the county.

I hope this clears up the issue, and I apologize for misunderstanding the first go round.

Expert:  Roger replied 3 years ago.

SORRY for the delay in responding.

I typed my answer and clicked the button to submit it, and it didn't post; so I had to re-type the entire thing again......

Let me know if you need anything else.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.