Ellen, Lawyer, Consultant
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

i had a car loan 8 yrs ago and i lost my job, which then got

i had a car loan 8 yrs ago and i lost my job, which then got repoed, can they still collect this debt today.
*This chat is not intended as legal advice. It is general information that may or may not apply to your situation and should not be relied upon.*

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your questions!

To assist me in answering your question, please tell me:
1. Was any court action filed or judgment rendered by a court?
2. Was the loan taken out in Wisconsin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
they repoed the car, sold it and i still have a balance of 8,653 give or take. that was back in 2005 with citi group. neaver went to court, just placed on creadit report and now a creditor is trying to collect the debt. yes it was in wisconsin. can they still collect. its been on my credit report for the last 8 yrs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i thought after 7 yrs they could no longer collect the debt. is this not true.
Thank you for your response.

It appears that the debt is NOT enforceable under the Wisconsin statute of limitations.

The statute of limitations is a law that restricts the period of time that an action enforced by the court. If the time has expired, we say that the statute of limitations has run and action is time-barred by the statute of limitations.

The statute of limitations in Wisconsin is 6 years from the date of the last payment.

I would be glad to respond to any related follow-up questions that you may have.