Zachary
Zachary, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs
17219180

Booked a lodge for my company and just received a call that

Booked a lodge for my company and just received a call that they canceled my event. The contract stated for individual cabins had a no party policy the sales manager encouraged us to rent the whole lodge and she gave us the meeting room for free the whole weekend. My event was scheduled to start Friday. They posted they canceled our event on our business facebook page and youtube page. They emailed the sheriffs departed and made them aware. I need to know my legal rights.
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I need to know more before I can answer.

Did you have any documentation which you signed with the lodge?

Did you pay any deposit for booking?

Did they provide you a reason as to why they cancelled?

Why did they email the sheriff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, we have a contract with completed rooms and meeting room we booked. We paid our initial deposit of 1600.00. They canceled our event because our event is listed on our promo items as a party. We told the sales manager all about our event she advised us to rent the whole lodge so there wouldn't be any complaints. I contacted the Lt. on duty he said he did receive a email from David Calloway the owner to turn my guest away.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response.

What you have here is a breach of contract claim. They cannot terminate the booking like this, especially where you had already disclosed the purpose of the booking and they agreed to it beforehand. Backing out now is a material breach.

However, you cannot force them to honor the booking legally. They have the right to breach the contract and pay your damages. What you are entitled to as damages is the benefit of the bargain you struck or the reliance damages you incurred. In other words, the difference in price that you will have to pay to get a similar situated place for your corporate event.

What I would do is fire off a letter and state that they are in material breach of the contract and that if they do not reinstate the event and allow you to proceed as promised, then you will be forced to sue them for the breach. They perhaps do not understand the law here and need to be informed that they cannot simply cancel the booking like this without consequences.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Zachary, Attorney
Experience: Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs