Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

COULD I HAVE A CASE IN CALIFORNIA REF: CHILD SUPPORT TRANSFERRED

Customer Question

COULD I HAVE A CASE IN CALIFORNIA REF: CHILD SUPPORT TRANSFERRED TO ARIZONA, THEY WANT ME TO GO TO CA...FOR A HEARING, AND I CAN NOT AFFORD TO GO THERE, I AM NOT WORKING AND HAVE NO FUNDS..
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

Was the original order from California? Does the child live there?

Customer :

Yes Original Order Was In CA , I Gave Divorce In Nov 09 I Paid her Child Support And Spouses Support Until I Lost My Job Dec2010 Now She Filed papers Thru CA Court For Child Support And her Support On 4/15/13 I Got Served 4/16/13 7:30Pm They Reset Another Hearing For Today 5/15/13 I Did It Over Phone Judge Says Im In Contempt And Put Another Date For Me To be In Family Court On 6/25/13 And A Hold Warrant On Me For $1000 , Can I get Case Transferred To AZ Since I Gave Her Divorce Shes In FL With My 2 Boys 19 & 12 Judge Says I Need Legal Counsel And Have To Appear Next Time No Car Or Way To get There At This Time

JD 1992 :

You could probably get the case transferred to AZ or FL, since that is where the children live now, but you have to file a motion in CA to do that and then appear for a hearing.

JD 1992 :

An attorney might be able to file the documents and get the case transferred based on an affidavit from you but that would involve hiring an attorney. In addition, it wouldn't affect the contempt order that has been issued.

JD 1992 :

You may want to contact legal aid and see if you can get a lawyer to assist you.

Customer :

Ok That's What I Have To Do But probably Have To get CA Legal Assit to Be With Me In Court For the Next Hearing, Thx

JD 1992 :

That's correct. Once you get the contempt handled you should be able to get the case transferred.

JD 1992 :

This is really more of a procedural and a criminal issue at this time as opposed to a family law issue due to the contempt.

JD 1992 :

Best wishes to you.

JD 1992 :

Please ask any follow up questions in this thread. When all of your questions have been answered, then I would ask that you give a Positive Rating (of course I'd suggest Excellent) since that is the only way I get credit for my work and also please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. When looking at the answer I ask you to bear in mind I can’t control what the law is and whether it helps you, I can only tell you what it says, and I assume you want truthful information.

However, please do not issue a rating of any kind until all of your questions have been answered and please use the Reply button to ask additional questions or to provide answers to my questions.

JD 1992 : Did you have additional questions?