Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My brother is disabled and has been staying in a motel for

My brother is disabled and has been staying in a motel for the past 8 weeks until I can find housing for him. I have an apartment now which will be available in a few day but the motel refused to take my money for another week last night. At 7:30 P.M., I was told he needed to be out today so they could remodel his room. They refused to put him in another room even though they were told I would be able to move him in a few days now. I have no way to transport him (wheelchair bound), especially with no more notice than this. Can they put him out legally or don't they have to go through due process?

Kirk Adams :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question, but I'm certainly sorry for your situation.

Kirk Adams :

In short, the hotel can refuse to do business with you/your brother AS LONG AS the reasons are not discriminatory based on race, sex, age, disability or religion.

Kirk Adams :

If the motel has taken this position due to your brother being in a wheelchair, then there may be a claim for discrimination. However, it would have to be proven that the demand to vacate was based on this.

Kirk Adams :

As for the immediate issue, if the hotel has decided that he needs to vacate for remodeling purposes, then he's going to have to do that. Hopefully, another hotel can be found to provide with lodging until the apartment is ready.

Kirk Adams :

However, if you or your brother believes there is discrimination involved, that could certainly be alleged and brought against the motel at a later date.