Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

reporting a coworker for a sexual assault

I'm thinking of reporting a coworker for a sexual assault that happened July 3, 2012. I need to know exactly how long I have to decide. THanks

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Are you planing to make your report to the police to have it prosecuted as a criminal matter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, i was told a civil complaint is another option but i don't know if that's realistic b/c he doesn't have that much money. i don't know how many lawyers would want to take that up, and I can't afford high attorney fees either.

Thank you for your follow up.

The Statute of Limitations to file a criminal complaint for a sexual assault, which is a felony is 6 years from the time it took place, so you do have plenty of time to file this report, however the more time passes the more difficult it gets to prosecute such crimes and less likely the DA would be willing to pursue criminal charges against the perpetrator of this terrible crime.

I wish you the best of luck!