Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Hi...I dont know how law applies to this situation but: I

Hi...I don't know how law applies to this situation but: I went to a private practice physical therapist who doesn't take insurance. When I told heer I had Medicare she said she can't treat me . I said I would pay 80.00 to get an evaluation and she said "no, I could get in big trouble". can anyone elucidate?Thanks
Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for the question.

What you've been told is correct.

If a physical therapist provides services to a Medicare beneficiary that would normally be covered by Medicare, he/she is required to bill Medicare directly and cannot accept self-payment for these services. The Social Security Act has a mandatory claims submission requirement, so a Physical Therapist cannot choose to not enroll in the Medicare program and collect cash from a Medicare beneficiary.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Kirk....Since I am also a physical therapist, could I ask her to look at my shoulder 15 mins max as a professional courtesy and I would send people her way?Thanks

If there's no payment for the service and it's just a professional courtesy/favor, that would likely be ok. Where you run into an issue is if the therapist were to charge you for a service.