TexLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Lead trial/International commercial attorney licensed 11 yrs

Hello, I live in Texas and this is concerning Civil Rights.

Hello, I live in Texas and this is concerning Civil Rights. I received one of the more in depth 48 question census forms, the American Community Survey census and I am wondering which pieces of information are required by law for me to fill out. I understand the normal census of 10 questions all are required, but specifically which questions in this census are mandatory? There are very personal questions in it like what time of the day do I leave for work, and whether or not I have trouble bathing or dressing myself. I find those to be a huge invasion of my privacy and strongly do not want to answer the full questionnaire. I would rather pay the fine, so if they are all mandatory what is the maximum fine they can levy?

Thank you for your question.

The census survey is mandatory and if not completed, you face the possibility of being fined up to $5,000.00.

The information requested in every question is aimed to inform the government regarding the needs of the community for government programs in your area. Answering every question is mandatory, although I agree with you that it is quite invasive.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,